A Self Portrait...

19 January 2015

For the First Time

In my life I used a walking stick, but I did it I walked into town managed not to have a row at the post office, got my shopping and with only minor detours to the bank and the second hand shop turned for home.

I must say the roads are treacherous, the road I live on is in my opinion particularly bad but the main road itself was sort of fine to walk, this is not in any way due to gritters or workmen its thanks to the complete lack of footpath which means that if you can't walk on the road itself you can walk on the grass verge which is anyway safer than either the road is or a footpath likely would be.

To be fair the town itself was almost ice and snow free the pavement was actually dry so walking was not unpleasant just cold but I was well wrapped up except for my hands which were dangling on the end fully exposed to every ill wind.  Its my own fault I do have gloves several pairs in fact, but I always forget something and at least this time I remembered to put proper shoes on. Its amazing how fear of sudden splat invigorates memory.

I started out for home with a not too heavy but not light enough shopping bag. I was walking briskly along on the ice free wrong side of the road and worrying how easy it would be to cross over when I got to my turnoff,  just as I was thinking it might be better to try the fields I got lucky: someone offered me a lift! And even said if I run out of anything, this is me amnesia on legs, to phone them and they would help. It was a kind offer but I hope and believe that so long as the rest of my shopping is delivered I won't run out of stuff or more accurately I don't think I will run out of anything I can't do without until the thaw sets in.

Getting back to the walking stick its wonderful. I won't say I felt confident or safe but I could feel my way and I could negotiate the many ice patches. I didn't need it for walking but it did give me confidence I've a nasty feeling that had I not used it I would have given up and returned home at the first ice patch.

Feeling quite pleased with myself: I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment