A Self Portrait...

18 January 2015

Another One

Aaand its a biggie. Sixty five years young, once I thought I'd live forever and never reach sixty, sixty five was really, really old and unimaginable. I wasn't rude about age I was dismissive I think I still am. Who I am is not defined numerically.

Age does however show in many and varied ways: bad back, horrible hips, wrinkles, and hands, perhaps because I type so much I notice my hands, they're not bad but they're not those long fingered aristocratic type hands either.

Still soft, not fat but kind of pudgy, nails still in good shape and still reasonably well looked after I have to look after them otherwise I would be like one of those horrendous people with nails hanging to the floor or curling into a circle. I saw that one on some site or tv show the other day: the longest nails in the world it said and I thought I'm bad but how on earth does this one do anything including get dressed?  Its a mystery.

A small but not entirely unconnected change of subject. I'm afraid of walking through ice and snow its not new I think its a bit to do with age but a lot more to with with fear of heights from my eyes I look down five feet five inches I wouldn't climb that high how in the world can I be expected to fall that low? I admit I've grown worse or maybe not London never has the kind of ice you get here. In London roads and pavements are very quickly cleared if they weren't there would be a hell of a fuss but this is rural edge of hell Ireland and clean, salted nice clean streets are among a lot of things you don't get in Ireland and do get in London or England.

Today is my sixty fifth birthday as a rational, sensible person I know the actual date means nothing. I do know that but still its sixty five and its a biggie. I feel I should acknowledge the enormity of  it hence this post but I  do also think its important to look on the bright side I will not be succumbing to a zimmer frame just yet and I don't have as many lines on my face as some so if I decide to put the pot on I can still look as young as, well, lets say sixty four.....

I'm grateful to be alive and as active as I would be if I could be bothered but its sixty five and its a biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment