A Self Portrait...

01 June 2013

Burgers

I've been thinking about them for a while. It seems like quite a long while. I know I can get them in town and I know I could go to Castlebar to get some. I don't trust the beef. No getting away from it I don't trust the beef, but I wanted one so I did.

It didn't take too many days before I began thinking of making my own to be sure I hadn't made them for a couple of years but its like falling off a log anyone can do it. The big benefit of making your own is you can stand in the nice local butchers and watch him cut the steak into mince. I liked the idea so that's what I did. Here is the menu for Jamie Oliver Beef burgers I have to say they tasted very nice. I've frozen some for another day.

I had salad and white wine, not red. I wanted chilled and summery.

Original recipe from Jamie Oliver: 30 minute meals

Ingredients:

250g beef mince
½ small red onion
2 med egg
25g breadcrumbs
¼ tsp chilli pwder
¼ tsp ground cumin ½ tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp dried oregano
25g parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Method:
1. If barbequing, make sure the barbeque is nice and hot before cooking

2. Peel the onion, slice off a few rings to go in the buns then blitz the rest until finely chopped. Leave the onion in the processor / tip into a large mixing bowl if doing by hand.

3. Separate the egg and add the yolk to the the onion along with the chilli, powder, cumin, oregano, breadcrumbs and mustard.

4. Finely grate the parmesan into the mixture and mix

5. Tip mixture into a separate bowl, add the mince and season well.

6. Time to get your hands dirty! Mix the mixture with your hands until properly combined

7. Divide mince into even sized balls (whichever size you like) and pat into burger shapes. Place on a clean oiled tray, cover with clingfilm and leave in fridge for 5 minutes to firm

8. Meanwhile turn your griddle pan on to a high heat. Drizzle burgers with a little olive oil, season then add to the griddle pan or barbeque and cook for about 10 minutes – more if you like them well done (ruined) or less if you prefer them rare (the best way!)

9. Serve in a bun with whichever burger condiments you choose. Personally I think these burgers taste so good and are so juicy you don’t need lots of extras in the bun, just a bit of onion and some relish if you must!

No comments:

Post a Comment