A Self Portrait...

09 June 2013

Formula

I love to read.  I generally read whatever comes my way whatever the subject or author but for some time I've been concerned or maybe afraid is the right word I think the days of really great writers and storytellers may be gone for good.

Some authors have always written to a formula obviously there is a huge market for that and that's the problem there is so much money in writing to formula and of course everyone wants to write a successful book and once they write one to keep on doing it, that it looks to me as though originality is being lost as new writers strive to be 'like' A or B.

Are we so lazy we no longer look for new ideas?  New ways of saying something and I say that as someone who has found to her cost that experimentation  can get you exactly the wrong kind of attention and that without much of an audience.

Its said that there are about six original story lines and from those six all fiction evolves, maybe, but I think that its only relatively recently that we have become stuck in the groove of writing in a style that is very much the same as every other writer.

I don't know if this makes sense I do firmly believe that the best book ever written ended up in the bin because publishers wouldn't take a chance and I think that has become the same for all of us: authors write to formula and almost all of us read to formula.   I can't decide which is worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment