A Self Portrait...

18 January 2014

Lord McAlpine is Dead

Image
Lord McAlpine is Dead
As in, to quote an old favourite of mine which  is more than McAlpine ever was; he is dead, deceased, gone. I can imagine many a skeleton will be leaping from the closet doors.  Am I allowed to say that now that he’s shuffled off this mortal coil in a downward direction?
I didn't like his politics . I didn't like that his circumstances were such that were it not for being born into a wealthy family the chances are his life would have been an ignominious failure. Not because he wasn’t intelligent enough but because academically he was poverty stricken. The lack of qualification was caused by dyslexia which prevents many very capable people from getting on. Yet here was a young man who within five years of joining the family business by working on one of their building sites jumped to almost the top of the ladder and was made a director. Some might say he worked hard and was lucky but I disagree: if that’s not a classic example of ‘its not what you know but who you know that counts’ I don’t know what is.
In the unlikely event there is anyone who is unaware of McAlpine: at his death he was seventy one, and retired. In his career he  had been a senior Tory, an aide to Margaret Thatcher and is alleged to have been involved in a paedophile ring  which had members among Westminster politicians.  He furiously denied the allegations and had for the last couple of years been waving his cheque book in a very threatening manner toward anyone who mentioned paedophilia and his name in the same sentence. I should say he won and his name was cleared.
I’m not sure what I believe of his sexual orientation he is gone time at last for the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment