A Self Portrait...

24 November 2016

So Cold!

Image result for homeless dublin

All day long the frost refused to go it lay sparkling and shimmering and I kept thinking of the homeless. Ireland is no place for the homeless. In summer its wet and damp. In winter its freezing no blanket keeps you safe or warms a street or a doorway.
The homeless have no food or water and as far as I can tell there are very few fountains. It seems like once there were fountains everywhere and everyone could drink now there are none and if you're homeless where do you go for a glass of water?
The sun was so strong everything shone. The good thing about winter frost is it covers grime, mud, debris and waste with clean rich diamond sparkles but there's no warmth in the sun just a bright glaring glow on the cold hard frost. Sunset was perfect it always is but for the homeless sunset is when fear sets in and nothing is colder than fear.
I read that some people are sheltering beneath makeshift tents in a Dublin park and that is cover from the rain, but it offers neither warmth or protection and is cold comfort on freezing days and nights.
All week it has been beautiful and freezing and all week I have been thinking of the homeless I don't hate myself for being warm. In truth I'm not that warm! But nor am I cold or thirsty may this winter go quickly and may the homeless find a home.
May you be warm this winter and may you never know hunger and thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment