A Self Portrait...

28 March 2015

What We Have Here

Is a situation. Herself ruled for twenty years during which time there were no arguments, no territorial disputes no, she should pardon the expression, cat fights, it was all hers and everyone knew it. Oh she rather ungraciously allowed others to occupy her space on a kind of behave or you’re out basis but it was always clearly her space. All of it. For twenty years.
Its taken three months I don’t know maybe her scent is fading or the memory of cats and small dogs is not as strong as, for eg. my own, but whatever it is there is no denying that recently things have been changing. For twenty years I have not had to worry or even think in terms of demarcation or territory it all belonged to a beautiful, casual tuxedo queen. I wish I had a video of the times she stood on the roof and told me off for being home late.
Nope, there’s no video of Herself in charge its all gone what we have now are my memories and what to all intents and purposes appears to be a power struggle. Not a total five in the ring war you understand, Ollie and Jezzie are not too fussed they know their place and as far as they are concerned everyone else is last. This maybe a gift to them from Herself its so totally Her.
The real problem is Trixie she is big, beautiful, confident and a right pain in the arse, currently she is challenging all comers, Pippa is getting her share but she’s hanging tough and being more feral than the regal one she usually holds her own quite well.
Which leaves the tiny and irrepressible Maggie May, or as it happens and as far as Trixie is concerned it does, Maggie May Not. Trixie lurks in wait. She chases the little one up and down the hall. Its a good thing Maggie is fast because when she gets caught claws are involved.
My poor Maggie cries! Of course I run to the rescue. The regal one pays absolutely no heed to threats or even to thrown stuff. She runs and lurks and reappears and the whole process starts again. I don’t know why I didn’t see it earlier. I believe I have mentioned an increase in yelps but I didn’t see it as a territorial dispute and I’m afraid that’s exactly what it is. Maggie is going to have to give in no cat ever would.
And I am going to have to face the fact that time moves on Herself is gone and her successor is getting impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment