A Self Portrait...

18 October 2013

Not Quite a Recipe

Its been years, I mean that must be something like twenty or thirty years since I made it.  The kids would have been at school.  I am of course talking about macaroni cheese, its so long since I cooked it I wasn't sure I remembered the recipe not that a little thing like that holds me back following recipes is not something I've ever been known to do properly.

**Macaroni cheese has been on my mind for the last week or so d'ye see.  Its an easy meal to make even without a recipe and considering the cost of groceries its not very expensive at all.

This evening I decided tonight would be the night.  I hadn't bought anything particular for it but who doesn't have pasta and cheese in their house?  I put the pasta to boil, grated the cheese, strong cheddar then  I grated an onion, put some cream in a pot added garlic and stuff* and put it on to bring it to a simmer.

The pasta and sauce were done at about the same time all I had to do was layer the pasta, cheese and onion into the dish, pour the sauce over all and put it into a preheated oven for about half an hour. The thing about macaroni cheese is that by the time you put it in the oven all the major ingredients are cooked its a question of letting the cheese and in this case onion melt and blend into the sauce and the macaroni and that to me is very much up to individual taste.

I almost forgot the salad!  I always have a small salad and this one was quite ordinary so I needn't have mentioned it but if I'm going to talk about recipes I have to mention the salad I always have with a meal.  I don't often have a starter or pudding but I do always have a side salad.

I don't think I could honestly recommend macaroni cheese for every day or even week but every couple of months or so is about right.  I hope I don't forget and leave it another twenty years.  I doubt I have that many left!  Its so easy!  You can mess about with it adding whatever spices or sauce you fancy and you get this very tasty and filling meal.  Loved it!

* I shouldn't have lumped almost everything as stuff!  No, I won't give the full recipe but it occurs to me that I should give at least a proper idea.  So, I used garlic, I said that!  And a bay leaf, I always use bay leaves they add so much, but remember to take them out when you've finished cooking.  I added a little mustard, not much I'm not a fan of mustard.  And that's it.  No flour or butter and I always use cream not milk it may not make much difference to anything except the way I think of it but the way I think of it is all that counts when its all for me.

**Aaand.  I want to add although you probably know that you don't need to use macaroni to make macaroni cheese any pasta will do I used the spiral ones this time and I think they work better than skinny ole macaroni.

Relatives coming to lunch this week I think I'll make it again with salad.  Yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment