A Self Portrait...

31 July 2013

She. Again.

Sure I've mentioned it before but since I'm bearing the scratches I thought it worth a reminder other than the physical today.

She is eighteen.  She has taken to expecting to be fed on the softest, jelliest, juiciest pieces of meat and to receive them four or five times a day.  She is a slim cat, there is no understanding it but there is no getting away from it either she is stick thin and proud of it.

I've noticed over the past year or so that she has become more talkative the subject is usually anything she dislikes or that she considers invades her space, which is all of the space or put another way any space she decides is hers, or it could be that she feels she is being urged to make a decision faster than she considers appropriate.

I'm patient but even the neighbours noticed when she was on the roof of the house shrieking at me for a) leaving her locked out and b) taking too long to do the shopping.  The neighbour thought it was funny.  He has no idea how that husky little croak of a voice can get to you, none at all.

The thing that has me exercised today is she as anyone who reads this blog knows sleeps in the crook of my arm whenever I decide to take a nap on the old sofa.  I admit its a bit of a liberty the old sofa being more or less theirs and they being territorial, but its a three seater  and there is plenty of room.

Today I thought I would have a nap.  I'd been typing, I was bored with it and it was raining cats and dogs outside.   I stretched out on the old sofa and she claws carefully extended padded all along my back over my shoulder and down into the crook of my arm and there she paused to look up and stare.

The reason for the delay was Olly.  He is the alpha male in our household.  This is undeniable because he is also the only male.   He gets himself in a bit of a tizzy sometimes when the girls bully him and they bully him all the rime.

This is why he, to show his seniority, climbs onto the back of the sofa and positions himself so that one fore paw rests directly above my head.  He likes this and even manages to look quite regal.   I don't mind it, the paw doesn't actually touch me its a symbolic gesture they are the only ones my poor Olly is allowed.

The one who does object is she in the crook of my arm.   She stares, glares and fidgets.  Her claws extend, her purr becomes a growl and then a hiss and I, stand up, shut the door on the lot of em, did I forget to mention Pippa, Trixie and Jezzie on my legs and feet?  And go to bed for an hour.....

Anyone checking would see all five of them spreadeagled across the sofa she having decided she doesn't mind sharing a space its me she won't share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment