A Self Portrait...

18 July 2013

Home from Home

Or not?


I wonder did you see the difference, did you feel it?   To me it always seemed striking. The closest I got to the feel of the north and the look of the UK was Donegal.  The people there would hate that but I used to think it was visible in the look of things.  I should mention Dublin but Dublin has the same feel all big cities have they're kind of international.  Although.....

The time I noticed the difference when I flew into Dublin:   It was almost the end of the rush hour when I arrived.  In the evening light the streets shone with the warm wet of a recent shower.  At the station the last train to Castlebar had left, In a panic I phoned the bus station and was told by a very relaxed voice that the last bus would be leaving Euston in about ten minutes.  I squealed with rage and the voice at the bus station without changing his tone or pausing for thought told me not to worry, if I would go to Euston straight away he would make sure the bus waited for me.

I rushed across and there glittering under the light was  my bus to Mayo waiting, that was when I knew I was in Ireland, can you imagine London?


No comments:

Post a Comment