A Self Portrait...

06 April 2015

Didja Miss Me?

Didja think I'd forgotten ye my first and favourite blog and maybe one day my only blog, or not. I like to write and can be quite prolific who knows where I will spread my custom over all the future gauzy years. I really don't know nor do I have any idea, well maybe some inclination lurks ready to load the quill with the devastating weapons of verbal war but if that is so its not for today and not for this blog.

Today I want to talk of other things and people specifically I want to talk of how I write and not compare it exactly, I'm very well and painfully aware of all the things my writing lacks I've been told so so often its a virtual tattoo across my forehead. No, today is more a general overview not of me I leave that to others who no doubt consider they've been well and truly lumbered with the chore...

Its the deliberate use of unusual or, what shall I call them? Old fashioned words. Its almost a form of boasting so eager is the author, and yes I think I must call them authors they would be so disappointed if I didn't, to prove a kind of intellectual superiority. Its hideous, its so misplaced it changes the tone interrupts the story and surely loses the interest of all but the most determined reader, 

As awful as it sounds it reminds me of Barbara Cartland, my goodness she had the words at her fingertips and she used them all! I read one book or almost one book well I got through a couple of chapters what do you expect?! She was a famous author and had the brass neck that rightfully belonged to all three monkeys. She was the most appalling writer of undiluted and very successful romantic drivel. Very successful, and not an ounce of rhythm wretched woman must have been tone deaf but she did have an audience and so maybe in spite of  my vehemence I could be wrong, but its what I think. So here it is...

I believe very few readers are interested in the authenticity or creative authority of a writer we and yes I am one! kind of expect that to be present in any book we pick up. What we are interested in is talent in what, in spite of all the bollocks I get thrown at me and there's a lot, I persist in calling the rhythm of the words 

You don't use a long antiquated word to prove you not only know it you know how to use it. You don't use such words to impress a reader we're really not that important, when you write you forget all else and go where the ebb and flow takes you and whilst you must be concerned about plagiarism you must not be concerned feel inhibited or unable to use any tool and that most especially includes all cliches, metaphor and wise old sayings they are yours and mine for the use of to deny them their place denies us the reader their insight and their humour.

Do you ever wonder as I have of late about the appalling lack of visitors there must be if my presence is even noticed let alone felt.  Its strange being a ghostly apparition on the world wide web. I must change that...

No comments:

Post a Comment