A Self Portrait...

22 August 2013

Trolls?

Its been suggested from somewhere on high that all commenters on blogs should use their real names and proof of real identity should be provided by giving credit card details to the blog or site.  The reason is said to be the proliferation of abusive and threatening trolls.

All or most blogs insist that commenters give their email address that means they can be tracked down and banned or blocked at the whim of the blog owner and that means any and all trolls can be banned and abusive and threatening behaviour can be reported to the police.

I have very good reason for using a pseudonym and I have been called a troll. I'm not.  The object of my attention is very specific I rarely bother to comment elsewhere and would prefer not to bother anywhere except perhaps to admire the occasional picture on sites like Tumblr.

It occurs to me that others might feel the same way I do and possibly for much the same reasons.  It seems to me that its time to show the insidious and extremely unhealthy way in which some blogs and other websites sometimes work together and the damage they can do both to the proliferation of trolls, many bloggers troll their own sites, and the harm they can inflict on ordinary commenters.

Bloggers often seem to feel invincible and ungovernable, they're neither I think its time they were shown that.



No comments:

Post a Comment