A Self Portrait...

07 February 2016

Its the

Irish general Election. Imagine that. Or not, usually I prefer not but the whole charade has kindof forced itself upon me. You really can't get away from it, adverts also known as posters are everywhere. It takes priority on the news and radio and the talk shows, rarely far from dead boring, have been turned into carefully planned and rehearsed Q & A sessions and will probably be the unacknowledged reason for any increase in the Irish death rate.

So, as my solitary follower has buggered off to pastures 'safe' I thought I would give a brief outline of my thoughts so far.

You can't escape it.

Not enough? Not original? OK then.

Fianna Gael leading party in what passes for the Irish government. Fianna Gael got in on courageous promises to stand up to the EU dictators and punish the bankers, they caved before the ink was even dry on their election win.

I honestly don't know what I think of Enda Kenny He can't be as bad as he seems no one could. I'm inclined to believe he's a hell of a back room mover just before the last general election Kenny survived a back room coup, well either he did survive it or it was a good piece of free PR showing a determined, powerful man in control of events...Until it comes to the EU when he's more of a roll over and get his belly rubbed type.

Labour have been such an unbelievable disappointment! I know I should be used to it this is Ireland after all but really that shower call themselves Labour?! Anyway the leader they had when they joined what should be their polar opposite in government, but instead and only in Ireland is much more their identical twin, buggered off after the first year or so. His position was somewhat alarmingly filled by that well known shrew Joan Burton.

Really I can't think of anything else to say about Labour except they won't be getting my vote this time around.

Fianna Fail. No getting away from it their leader Michael Martin had a bloody big mountain to climb and I do think he's done well considering it doesn't take much to remind everyone of Bertie Ahearn and Brian Cowen. But he has tried and maybe has succeeded better than he knows. Few people will openly admit to voting for them but old loyalties die very, very slowly and can be resuscitated quickly, quietly and with no more than a flick of a pen.

I have to admit that what little enthusiasm I have for the general election is for Fianna Fail and if I'm prepared to over look the trifling matters of the entire country bankrupt and the blatant smiling corruption of previous leaders I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My pet hate. Sinn Fein. Oh I must restrain myself! And to tell the truth its hard. Or not because its also true to say most of what passes for their leadership is as old or older than me, which basically means they're on their last lap. He He. Unfortunately they may do well, quite well, they won't win but for them surely its more about acceptance and growth than an outright win and if all goes well for Gerry Adams in a few years time there might be the presidency. I have to admit the very thought of it makes me queasy because I dislike the bastards past, I suspect there's shenanigans I would beat him over the head with, and not least because if he got the presidency he would not be the shy retiring do as he's told president Ireland is used to.

But, maybe Ireland deserves better from its presidents and anyway the optimist in me looks on the bright side at least he's taller than the present incumbent and with any luck I will be England.

The rest? well I think there's a new party trying to draw the right kind of attention to itself and there are some very worthwhile independents who I hope hold their seats.

I've had enough of the Irish general election already and its not until 26th February. And just think 29th February 2016 is a leap year. Strange things can happen in a leap year.

No comments:

Post a Comment