A Self Portrait...

20 August 2017

Flowery Poems

I don't write them I don't think I can. The idea of them intrigues me and I think I've tried to write such a poem once or twice. Eh, but my hearts not in it and my head is probably miles away.

I used to and from time to time do still enjoy writing, generally if I like the result I leave it alone, if I don't I'll play with it for hours. Some think that means I'm trying to correct punctuation or suchlike. As if! What in every case I actually do try to find is the rhythm. Its probably or almost certainly something each reader feels differently but its the difference in every case between success and failure.

Barbara Cartland wrote prolifically, well she had to she needed to finance her larger than life lifestyle, and she was utter, total crap. I read one book and it was enough. Even novels of historical romance need rhythm and if there was any rhythm in Barbara Cartland she kept it hidden from her books.

Georgette Heyer also wrote, not quite as prolifically but often, and I have read most if not all her books. She too wrote historical romances. The difference between Cartland and Heyer could be described as talent and rhythm, and a good sense of humour.

I'm not, don't even think it! comparing myself to either of them I'm saying that if you aint got rhythm in your words you aint got nuffin


No comments:

Post a Comment