A Self Portrait...

24 July 2016

Friday go to Town Day

I had to go I didn't want to but it was a hospital appointment and so no choice. First I was going to walk into town, then I was going to get a cab. I didn't want to get a cab I knew if I did I would rat, take the cab all the way to the hospital and probably ask the driver to take me home too.
I didn't want to do that because I had a brand new, squeaky clean bus pass and like a kid with a red rover ticket I wanted to try it out so after all my dithering, it helped that the taxi number was busy, I decided to walk into town and get the bus. I got about two thirds of the way and my hips began to play up, then my right knee went and I almost hit the ground but I was strong and continued to town. The taxi number was busy...
The bus was late there I was out of breath from trying to turn a hobble into a run, naturally I was chain smoking, and the bus was late. I thought the hospital might be annoyed with me, I thought the damn bus chose the wrong day to be late and I thought my hips might not unbend enough to let me climb onto the bus, that's the strange thing about hips when they're rusting you can stroll along almost straight but the moment you try to lift your leg into an unfamiliar step they seize up altogether and you are embarrassed.
Did you know the step onto the bus is relatively high? I bet you didn't I can't say I'd noticed it much if at all before, anyway the bus driver was very nice waved my nice bus card away,  I competed the climb and hobbled to a seat.
I have to say I did enjoy the journey, the passenger across the aisle was very nice we would have had a chat but the passenger behind me, he with an English accent, kept interrupting, not at all in an unfriendly way but in a way that left no room for conversation. The passenger opposite and I shared a glance and the woman in front of him told me not to worry she was getting off the same stop as me and would let me know when we got there. I hadn't been concerned about finding the right stop only about how late I would be for my appointment but it was very kind of her to volunteer and I was grateful because it meant however slow I was getting out of the seat and down the aisle the bus would not take off with me still on it, such are the concerns of people with hips and knees.
The ultrasound waiting room was full and we were all agreed the drink they give you for something or other is absolutely foul and we grimaced and groaned our way through the obligatory four glasses or approximately one pint of the stuff. It all went very well I didn't get told off for being late, the nurse found a vein without too much trouble and I breathed in and out as directed. Time to go shopping.
My feet were killing me, I don't know why maybe the heat in the hospital made my feet swell but the last thing I wanted to do was shop, what I really wanted to do was have a nice cup of tea and spend the afternoon in close contact with my bathroom.
It just so happens there is a taxi rank outside Dunnes so when I had hobbled to the shops that's what I did. I decided my nice bus pass could wait for another return journey, got a cab and came home.
I was feeling quite pleased with myself. I had been there and done it and I was home with my feet up, which is when I remembered the bank and the shopping. I don't feel too bad about it after all I never go to town and remember everything, and my hips hurt, my knee gave way and by lunchtime my feet were giving me hell. It was almost nice to be home.
I do like Castlebar 

No comments:

Post a Comment