A Self Portrait...

29 May 2016

My Ollie is Gone

Snapshot 1 (15-02-2013 09-46) ollie, pippa and tax.png
I don’t think I knew how important he was and is to me. He was the last link with the life I had before I came to Ireland. It was a very different life, one where he had regular check ups at the vet and even more regular appointments at the dog grooming parlour the nice young man used to come and collect him and bring him home all nice, clean and very happy.
Different days. Pippa and Trixie joined us when he was about three and Pippa who has no time for Trixie loved Ollie immediately and steadfastly. Lately she was rubbing against him and licking/kissing him, it didn’t occur to me she was worried about him he seemed fine. True his hair was too long but I did trim his fringe, he wouldn’t let me do the rest of his coat. He was such a strong boy and I in so many ways have become weak.
Today 27th May 2016 I buried Ollie I got two of his precious toys to put with him. He loved them both, would sniff them out from wherever I hid them and proceed to try to kill them stone dead.
I should have gone to the shop today, its a bad day to run out of fags but just this last time my boy had to come first.
How many times can a heart break?
I don’t know but it seems to me it happens too often.
My fault I didn’t take enough care of him
Gone were visits to the groomer every six weeks.
Gone were the regular check ups.
He didn’t deteriorate I did and he paid.
My Ollie, my best boy, my guilt

No comments:

Post a Comment