A Self Portrait...

31 January 2016

Terry Wogan Born 03/08/1938 - Died 31/01/2016 RIP



I should say Terry Wogan followed and then eclipsed Eamonn Andrews that's the connection and its visible in some of the stuff, and really its no better than stuff, I've read this morning.

Terry Wogan followed Eamonn Andrews only in the sense they were both Irish, both tv personalities and very, very successful.

I'm proud to say I was never, ever and would never in a million years be a fan of or even like Eamonn Andrews I didn't like anything about him, from his fake smile, to his fake friendliness, to his mediocre boxing, to whatever it was with the book. To me Eamonn Andrews epitomized Oirish Irish and for as far back as I can remember I disliked him intensely.

I wasn't a huge fan of Wogan but I didn't despise him or hold him in contempt He was Irish, and proud of that. He had fun in his work and while his smile often shimmered as though he was having a laugh at English expense it always seemed genuine and ready to share with anyone.

I don't know if Wogan ever lived in Kilburn I know no one in my family did,  nor did our Irish friends and relatives. We lived in Islington, East London, the counties and Scotland and unlike popular Oirish legend that's where most of the Irish in England lived and still live.

Wogan appears to have liked England, well after the bogs, the rain and the Irish in Ireland that's hardly surprising. He almost certainly had a home in Ireland but it maybe that his friends were in England and he had the honesty and the grace to acknowledge and enjoy that.

Wogan was not a lone Irish voice in England. Irish people are all over English TV and radio. You'll wait a long time before you'll hear or see an English television presenter or news reader on Irish TV or radio.

I actually find it hard to have a good word to say about the Irish, my the Irish in Ireland did a job...

RIP Terry Wogan you deserve better than this but I'm not up to fawning lies today or any day. I live in anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment