A Self Portrait...

09 January 2018

A Boss, A Friend, A lover

Is it possible to think of a lover or a friend as also being a boss? Of course relationships of all kind happen but if Joe Bloggs becomes your friend or your lover do you think of him as your boss?

Its seems a simple question but I think its really quite deep and in its depths are the answers not just to the relationship but to the individuals involved. In some industries the exchange of occasional invitations to dinner at the boss or workers home is a regular occurrence but what does it mean? There are obvious dinner party conventions but they are whilst not exactly formal usually friendly but not friends affairs. In both cases one part of the party is trying to impress the other part Hard then to simply be yourself.

I have some previous when it comes to both lovers and friendly and when it comes to friendly I have made one or two horrendous mistakes but that's the thing isn't it what you or I might assume is the norm may not in fact be so to someone else

We each think in different ways, make different assumptions, form impressions even beliefs that may be far removed from what others see as reality. I was going to say truth but in such cases truth is very much in the mind of the beholder, and its so easy for us all to mistake, misunderstand the views of others if we base them as surely most of us do on our own belief, opinion or reaction.

Experience is a funny old thing we use our own experiences to make decisions about ourselves which is natural but also about others and it seems to me that suggests over confidence. The older we get the more we rely on our experiences but surely that is a very one sided and potentially not just erroneous but disastrous thing to do.

I have been friendly with all my bosses, some became very good friends and I don't know how that happened I don't even know if my own behaviour changed very much as a result. Part of me doesn't see how it could because surely it was me being me and they being they that made the friendship possible?

Ah well, its three in the morning and never was there a better time to while away an hour on imponderables 

No comments:

Post a Comment