A Self Portrait...

28 August 2018

Hmm

A bit of a rag bag mixture but lets start where I was side tracked.

Youth is relatively new Not long ago up until the 1960s teenagers were not regarded as an almost separate breed they were simply young adults and treated as such, most didn't go to university they simply left school, got jobs and that was it. The change probably grew fast in the 1960s and 70s but its first hesitant shoots surely appeared in the 1950s.

It can't be over emphasized but as you can see teenagers owe their very existence to two world wars and the surviving adults determination to make sure their children had better, easier, much more enjoyable lives. To that end parents and adults spared no pain or energy to try to make young dreams come true. It seems to be unrecognised but its probably, I'm no expert, one of the greatest, most innovative tolerant and amateur success stories in human history, except its not a success. It must be very close to one of the most monumental failures in human history

A century ago, children under ten years old were working down mines, cleaning chimneys, working all hours in mills and other factory jobs, and no parent wants that for their child.

I have recently spent some time watching what I will call Oriental films their other name would be Asian and since I can't stand the overacting, over arrogance of the Indian male, the entire Indian film industry and the sheer medieval insanity of Islam I'm going to continue to call the films I've been watching Oriental...

The first thing I noticed is these films and tv series are full of some of the most fuckable young men I've seen in decades so you can see watching has not been hard work...It has been intriguing...

So, there's this beautiful young man, and I do mean beautiful handsome simply does not cut it, aaanyway, there he's stood clearly frozen solid and puffing warmth into his hands. All one wants to do is pick him up and wrap him in a nice warm duvet - for a couple of years. And then one spots the feet and can't help but notice the complete absence of socks. I have to say its one of those little things that not only puts me off it sends me on a cultural by pass.

Socks, socks are always optional or are they? When did the UK and other western cultures decide socks are essential? I don't know. I do know the UK welfare state didn't begin until 1948 and anyone who thinks the British working class were born with a pair of socks on is out of their mind. 

Clogs are wooden shoe type things which I think the Dutch usually get the blame for inventing but did they? The British wore clogs and somehow the idea of wearing clogs with socks doesn't quite work. Its like flip flops who would or could wear socks with flip flops? I'm not an expert but I think socks would have to be reinvented with two toe sections for socks to work with flip flops.

Clearly the sock thing is cultural but is it also a huge media and political lie? The British definitely did not have the money to buy socks and that goes right through British history including the 1930s years of depression The very idea that the British had money to spend on socks when the only income most of them had was for working long hours in low wage jobs, and those wages had to pay for rent, food and clothing for husbands, wives and children. Socks would either never have existed in most households or when difficulties arose they would have been the first to go.

And yet, and yet, I remember socks as ordinary, everyday items we all wore. I remember darning needles and those toad stool thingies we used to darn torn socks on. To be honest darning wasn't as far as I know done by my own or my parents generation but it was done by my grandparents. Cultural? Yes but how and why...

I may return to this subject. I may even ask out loud how many pairs of shoes are spread around the average Oriental home...Think of the average family two parents, two children that's eight pairs of shoes and slippers right in front of the door. I'm not being classist, racist or arrogant I am being curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment