A Self Portrait...

11 May 2017

I've Had Better Days

But it all started so well! I felt fine, so fine I decided to go to town and do a wee bit of shopping. I told myself I wouldn't buy much, indeed I know full well I can't afford to buy much! But undaunted by dire financial straits I got ready, I hate my hair it has to go, and walked to town.

And, it was a lovely walk, not too hot, this is Ireland, but not too cold or breezy either. I want to be clear I enjoyed the walk to town and if I was a little puffed when I got there the last schlep is what the generous might call uphill.

I popped into the 'pound' shop not to get any shopping but to ask if I left my wonderful walking stick there about six weeks ago. I had not nor had I left it at Tesco so I'm very disappointed and upset to have to confess that I've lost the walking stick. I can't help thinking that if I had the stick what happened to today wouldn't have. Or at least not in the dreadful, upsetting and even embarrassing way it did.

But I'm losing track. I went to Tesco. I swear I'm incapable of going into a shop that sells cat and dog food without coming out with some and this time even though it wasn't cats club and wasn't in a tin I do think this time was the proverbial time too far.

I decided to walk home, sure there wasn't that much in the bags and on such a lovely day what could possibly go wrong? I could, that's what could go wrong.

The bags got heavier my feet ached and I think I became slightly light headed because I got as far as the end of town and literally had to stop. I felt sick, I felt dazed I felt I needed to sit down but I couldn't walk as far as the nearest bench which is no less than a hundred or so yards away.

I didn't know what to do. I really didn't. I just knew I would never make it home on foot. I called a taxi and I must say I'm so grateful to the taxi driver. I'm not sure I made a lot of sense but he knows me and when do I ever make a lot of sense?

At home I made a cup of tea  tried to get my breath back and act normal. It didn't work. In the end I lay on the bed and took the time it needed to recover.

I will never buy food in town again. It will have to be delivered I will never carry anything even slightly heavy again and the strange thing is that this incident so much less dangerous than the illness that saw me into hospital somehow felt more frightening and much more dangerous.

I would hate to be incapacitated or even worse! Die Alone on a road.

No comments:

Post a Comment