A Self Portrait...

07 September 2015

I Shouldna Done it

But it wasn't a bad day and I want to get back into the habit of walking Its important because when I do get somewhere civilised I don't want to be an invalid. At my age if you don't use it you definitely lose something but not around the waist that tends to gain quite a lot.

I had to go I'd forgotten some shopping and was running low on interesting stuff like milk. The walk into town was good not windy or rainy admittedly cloud was low and the sky was rather more than fifty shades of gray but it was still pleasant enough and easy walking.

Being me by the time I arrived the bank had shut for lunch this is Ireland all day banking is something that happens elsewhere. I wandered along to my local grocers and did not a lot of shopping. This may have been a mistake but it was an important part of my grand plan to walk into town several days a week, firm up some muscles and lose weight.

So far so good I did my wee bit of shopping and turned for home, and it was still pleasant enough I was strolling which if you're walking to lose weight is not the best way to do it. Walking needs purpose not speed but intention don't dawdle that doesn't work. Regardless of knowing that I nevertheless strolled along quite content until I noticed my feet they were beginning to ache.

By this time I'd left the town and passed the only bench on the entire walk I carried on not exactly limping but not exactly walking either I think it was more of a shuffle. It was slow very slow.  At last I got to the spot where I always stop I stayed longer than I usually do my feet by then were quite sore I could almost have set up camp with more enthusiasm.

At last I started the last lap of the walk hobbling along looking at my feet I didn't notice anyone until a voice called me by name. I'd reached one of the outlying houses I looked up and there was an elderly man twiddling with machinery. At first I thought he was someone I know, I must get new glasses or at least wear the ones I've got, but he had called me by name so assuming I knew him wasn't wrong he certainly knew me.

We chatted for no more than a few minutes I was getting annoyed with him he wasn't who I had thought and he was quite a rude person and however old and decrepit he maybe he's not someone I've any wish to meet again.  Its that thing do you see Ireland is so local almost everyone knows your name they don't need to know you they'll fill in any gaps with fiction or whatever the neighbours told them.

The truth is England isn't like that in England strangers probably won't say hello even if they know your name but nor will they be rude for no reason there's still a kind of courtesy or in a lot of still English places there is but England is changing fast and since it must be five years since I was there it may have developed a casual rudeness as well.

Oh my feet ached and my back ached and between feet and back I'd not much thought to spare for anything else. I got home realised I wasn't going to rush back into town tomorrow and felt it would have been a good idea to stick to one way only and get a cab home. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment